Nearly 40,000 villagers in 20 villages of Rahul Gandhi’s parliamentary constituency have given a call to boycott parliamentary elections demanding inclusion in neighbouring Sultanpur district.
The villagers claim they are at a distance of 8-12 km from Sultanpur while they have to travel 27-35 km to reach Gauriganj, the district headquarters of Amethi. “We have to change autorickshaw thrice to reach Gauriganj for work,” Harbhajan Singh, a native of Piparpur village, which has nearly 7,000 voters, said.
“We had held a meeting five days ago when we gave a poll boycott call. From next week, barriers will be erected in all villages to prevent entry of politicians,” he added. The villages include Khanapur, Lahna, Piparpur, Narbhanpur, Durgapur, Raipur and Sonari. The villages are part of Bhadar development block under Amethi tehsil.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
The villagers claimed their demand was raised during the Assembly elections in 2012. “I am village pradhan for past 20 years of my village. We will not allow any leader, even Rahul Gandhi, to hold any meeting in our area. We had given several representations to Rahul also,” Anil Singh, village pradhan of Bhagipur village, said. Bhagipur is hardly 15 km from Sultanpur.