With an increase in ceasefire violations along the Line of Control (LoC) in Jammu region, the Valley too has seen a spurt in cross-border infiltrations. On Sunday, four militants and two soldiers were killed in two separate incidents in Kupwara when the Army engaged the infiltrating militants.
Early on Sunday morning, the Army spotted a group of infiltrating militants at Kalaroos, deep inside the Line of Control. When challenged by the Army, the militants opened fire leading to a fierce encounter in which four militants were killed. “The encounter is over and we have killed four militants. One of our men was also injured and he succumbed later,” a Defence spokesman said in Srinagar. “The encounter started at 5 AM and lasted for several hours”.
Sources said the militants had infiltrated few days back from Machil sector in Kupwara and were on their way to Kupwara. When they reached the Dhok Behak village, eight kilometers from Kalaroos, they were intercepted by Army’s 41 and 45 Rashtirya Rifles (RR). The spokesman said the entire group of infiltrating militants had been eliminated. “I think, there were only four militants,” he said. “They were holed-up and there was little chance of escape”. Police, however, said two-three more militants, who were part of the group, may be hiding in the area.
- Twitter War Between Congress Leader Amarinder Singh & Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal
- Life Of Actor-Dancer Ashwini Ekbote Who Died During A Performance
- Idea Exchange With Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh
- PM Narendra Modi Bats For Equal Rights : Here What He Said On Triple Talaq
- Uncle Shivpal Targets Akhilesh, Claims CM Told Him He Will Form Another Party
- Pakistan Continues To Violate Ceasefire In RS Pura
- Samajwadi Party’s internal fight divides SP
- Cyrus Mistry Removed As Chairman of Tata Sons: Here’s What Happened
- Wreath Laying Ceremony Of Slain Soldier Sushil Kumar Observed
- Virat Kohli Powers India Home With Unbeaten 154
- Pakistan Resorts To Heavy Mortar Shelling, 1 BSF Jawan Dead, 3 Injured
- Bigg Boss 10 Weekend Ka Vaar: Priyanka Jagga Evicted
- Here’s How Much Army Welfare Fund Has After MNS Demanded Rs 5 Cr To Cast Pak Artistes
- Shiv Sena Chief Uddhav Thackeray Take A Jibe At MNS: Here’s What He Said
- Samajwadi Party Crisis Deepens: Here’s How It Will Impact UP Polls
The Kalaroos infiltration was the second attempt by the militants to cross over the LoC in less than 12 hours. Revealing details of another incident, the spokesman said, “With a spurt in infiltrations, the Army has stepped up counter infiltration operations along the LoC. In one such operation, at Kunda Nar area of Keran sector, a contact was established with militants. In the exchange of fire, a soldier was injured who later succumbed”. Though the Army spokesman said the operation to track militants in the area continues, sources claimed the militants had managed to escape after the shootout.