Two bureaucrats were in for a shock after they found a snake in the car in which they were traveling on Sunday. The car was stopped by them at the Sector 22-23 light point where the fire services,police and a snake-catcher were summoned. The snake,however,eluded everyone. It was finally found dead when the car was opened at a workshop today.
The incident occurred on Sunday when M P Singh,Additional Principal Secretary to Minister of State for External Affairs Preneet Kaur,and N S Walia,a former PCS officer,saw a two-ft long black-headed snake appear on the dashboard of the car. The snake had come out of one of the AC outlets. It is speculated that it had entered the car through the AC duct. Having reached the Sector 22-23 light point,the two jumped out of the car.
Singh called the police control room (PCR) and the fire services. As firemen and cops reached the spot,the snake entered the dashboard. We were returning home after reviewing preparations for a function. I was driving the car when N S Walia,who was accompanying me,saw a snake on the dashboard, narrated Singh.
He asked me to stop the car. We had reached the light point by then. As the light was red,we quickly came out of the car, Singh recalled. He added that the police and firemen were quick to reach the spot. However,despite their attempts,the snake could not be caught.
A drill started to catch the snake. In the meantime,a snake-catcher was also summoned. The fire officials put water with full pressure on the engine but the snake would not come out of the dashboard. The snake-catcher too was unable to catch hold of the reptile. The car was then taken to an isolated place near Childrens Park in Sector 23. But all efforts to get hold of the snake failed.
As it was a Sunday,the workshops in the city refused to accept the car. Another reason stated was that it was risky to open the car since no one knew where the snake was. A mechanic,however,closed all the holes in the car from where the snake could come out. Walia then drove the car to Barnala without switching on the air-conditioner. When the car was opened at a workshop today,the snake was found dead.
Meanwhile,Fire Department officials informed that they frequently get calls from panicky residents about snakes being found in their houses. The number of snake-catchers is given to them. The firemen reach the spot and ensure that people are in a safe zone. However,they are not equipped to catch snakes.
There have been instances in the past too when snakes have entered houses. It is generally during the rainy season that more such calls are received.