The members of the 16th Lok Sabha on Thursday met on Day 2 for the oath-taking ceremony. After Protem Speaker Kamal Nath addressed the House, he first invited Prime Minister Narendra Modi to take oath as a member of Lok Sabha.
Attired in spotless white, the Prime Minister was the first to take oath amid thumping of desks. He took oath in Hindi in the name of God and was followed by BJP veteran L K Advani.
Several Union ministers took oath in Hindi in the name of God, with Sushma Swaraj, Uma Bharti and Harsh Vardhan taking oath in Sanskrit.
Sonia Gandhi made the affirmation in Hindi and so did Minister Ram Vilas Paswan.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
Several ministers preferred to take oath in their mother tongue, including D V Sadananda Gowda, Ananth Kumar and G M Siddheshwara, who took oath in Kannada. Sarbananda Sonowal took oath in Assamese and Jual Oram in Odia.
Senior members Arjun Charan Sethi (BJD), P A Sangma (NPP) and Biren Singh Engti (Cong), appointed on the Panel of
Chairpersons by the President to help the Protem Speaker in oath taking process, took oath after Prime Minister Modi, Advani and Gandhi.
Cold vibes between Sonia Gandhi and Maneka Gandhi were visible during the oath taking as both exchanged pleasantries rather reluctantly.
Protem Speaker Kamal Nath was the only member who had taken oath on Wednesday as the House was adjourned on the first day of the new Lok Sabha following death of Minister Gopinath Munde on June 3.
Before initiating oath taking process, Nath welcomed all members, especially those of newly-formed Telanga and residuary Andhra Pradesh.
After oath taking by members of the Council of Ministers and members from Andaman and Nicobar and Andhra Pradesh, the Protem Speaker called former Prime Minister H D Deve Gowda and two former Deputy Speakers Karia Munda and M Thambidurai to take oath.
The Prime Minister was present till the members of his Council of Ministers took oath.
(With PTI inputs)