Around 150 school students were taken ill on Friday due to suspected food poisoning at the Banabishnupur High school under Soro police station about 40 km from here, the police said.
After unfurling of the Tricolour, the students were distributed with some sweets by the school authority. Soon after consuming the sweets, some students complained of nausea, the police said adding the parents of the sick students brought them to Soro hospital.
The Chief District Medical Officer of Balasore Dr Anup Ghose said, “150 students were treated because of some kind of food contamination and the situation is under control.”
“Four students were refereed to Balasore district head hospital as their condition was serious and a medical team has been sent to the school,” he said.
A report from Keonjhar district said in a similar incident around 15 students were hospitalised after consuming sweets in their schools at Ata village under Bota gram panchayat, the police added.
For all the latest India News, download Indian Express App now