Controversy-prone Assam Congress legislator Rumi Nath, who was arrested here on Tuesday for her alleged links with India’s most-wanted car lifter Anil Chauhan, was remanded in 14 days’ judicial custody by the Chief Judicial Magistrate’s court here on Wednesday. The court also asked the police to submit a report on her health on Friday. The police meanwhile also arrested Anil Chauhan’s wife Rita.
A team of Delhi Police officers meanwhile arrived in Guwahati on Wednesday seeking to interrogate Anil Chauhan who is wanted in numerous car-theft cases in the national capital in the past several years. The Delhi Police had declared him a proclaimed offender in as many as 76 car-lifting cases, it was learnt.
- Six months to assembly polls, Assam CM Tarun Gogoi appoints 13 MLAs as parliamentary secretaries
- Another Assam Congress MLA arrested, sent to 7 days judicial custody
- Cops seize four weapons, 45 number plates from car-theft kingpin’s house
- Congress MLA Rumi Nath: From one controversy to another
- Assam: Cong MLA Rumi Nath arrested in connection with International car theft racket
- Assam Congress MLA arranged Assembly car passes for 'most wanted' car thief
Rumi Nath, who keeps returning to headlines with one controversy or the other, was arrested in connection with two cases that the police have registered in two separate police stations here in which notorious car-lifter Anil Chauhan was arrested on April 3. She had also allegedly recommended issue of car-passes to Chauhan to enter the Assembly and MLA Hostel campus.
While the CJM Court remanded Rumi Nath in 14 days’ judicial custody, the police on Wednesday also arrested Anil Chauhan’s wife Rita in connection with the two cases, Guwahati Police Commissione Jyotirmoy Chakravarty said.
Rumi Nath, who was allegedly close to her, had earlier claimed that Rita was also a member of the Congress party. While Assam Pradesh Congress Committee spokesman Mehdi Alam Bora could not say for sure whether the car-theft kingpin’s wife was a party member or not, the woman has stated before the police following her arrest that she had become a primary member of the ruling party several years ago. While Anil Chauhan hails from Delhi, his present wife Rita is an Assamese woman from near here.