12th body recovered from Sindhurakshak

The body was sent to JJ Hospital for postmortem. Two more bodies were recovered earlier this week.

Written by Express News Service | Mumbai | Updated: April 8, 2014 1:14 pm

The Navy Sunday recovered the 12th body from the wreckage of INS Sindhurakshak that was destroyed in a fire last month. The body was sent to JJ Hospital for postmortem. Two more bodies were recovered earlier this week.

Meanwhile,nine bodies have been identified by the Kalina Forensic Sciences Laboratory (FSL) and handed over to families. A total of 18 personnel were on board the kilo-class submarine on August 14 when it caught fire that was followed by two explosions. The Navy said teams of rescue divers were continuing their search for six remaining personnel.

JJ Hospital confirmed that three bodies were sent by the Navy on Sunday. “These bodies bear similar burns as the others did. They have been sent to the FSL for DNA profiling,” said Dr T P Lahane,Dean,JJ Hospital.

Nine of the 12 bodies have now been handed over to the families. After a wreath-laying ceremony was conducted on August 30 for six personnel at the Navy hospital,INHS Asvini,another ceremony took place on Tuesday morning for the three personnel who have now been identified. “The ceremony was conducted with full military honours. The families had come from their hometowns. Arrangements have been made to send the bodies to their hometowns,accompanied by Navy teams,” said a Navy spokesperson.

Senior naval officers Vice Admiral Shekhar Sinha,Flag Officer Commanding-in-Chief,Western Naval Command,the Commodore Commanding Submarines (West) and the Commanding Officer of INS Sindhurakshak were also present at the ceremony,the spokesperson added.

“We have received the bodies and hope to finish the profiling in three-four days and hand the bodies back,” said FSL Director Dr M K Malve.

Video of the day

For all the latest India News, download Indian Express App

    Live Cricket Scores & Results