Eleven people, including a child and four women, were killed on Sunday when a 20-foot-high compound wall adjacent to their huts collapsed in Tiruvallur district in Tamil Nadu even as Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa ordered an SIT probe into the Porur building crash that claimed 61 lives.
“A total of 11 people died on the spot, including a child and four women”, Tiruvallur District Collector K Veera Raghava Rao told reporters at the site near Upparapalayam.
Among the victims, nine are from Andhra Pradesh while the remaining are from Tamil Nadu, he said. The compound wall was constructed by a private warehousing company and its owners — Ramanathan and his brother Balu — have been arrested, district SP Saravanan said.
A 19-year-old youth, Nagaraj, was rescued from the debris and has been admitted to hospital with minor injuries. Heavy rains had lashed the area last night.
Condoling the death of Telugu workers, Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister N Chandrababu Naidu asked a senior official to go to the spot and help the victims. Naidu asked Labour Commissioner Ramanjaneyulu to rush to Tiruvallur to supervise the rescue and relief operations, an official release said here.
Jayalalithaa also condoled the deaths and announced an assistance of Rs 2 lakh each for the next of the kin of the victim and Rs 50,000 to the injured.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
She instructed police to take stern action against those responsible for the tragedy. The incident occurred eight days after an 11-storeyed building crashed at Porur, claiming 61 lives.
Meanwhile, Jayalalithaa announced formation of a Special Investigation Team headed by a Joint Commissioner of Police to probe the Porur building collapse. “Under the supervision of the Commissioner of Police, a SIT will be set up comprising experts in engineering and architecture. The team will be headed by a Joint Commissioner of Police,” she said.
The SIT will get assistance from experts from the IIT, PWD, Anna University and other varsities in the probe into the collapse of 11-storey under construction building. Six persons have been arrested in connection with the incident.