Eleven bodies have been recovered so far as massive rescue operations continued at the building collapse site at Mugalivakkam near Porur here even as police said they have arrested five persons in connection with the tragedy.
Several persons are still believed to be trapped under the debris and hundreds of personnel are engaged in clearing the rubble as part of the rescue effort. Two alleged owners of the building were arrested Sunday morning along with two engineers as police rounded up five persons in connection with the incident and booked them under various sections of IPC.
“The Chennai Police Commissioner has already visited the spot. Five persons have been secured and inquiry is on into the incident,” Director General of Police K Ramanujam told reporters here after visiting the spot.
Two women, identified as Sujata and Krishnaveni, were this morning pulled out from under the debris, taking the number of those rescued to 30 so far, police said.
Over 100 personnel from Tamil Nadu Fire and Rescue Services along with 120 others from National Disaster Reponse Force are taking part in rescue operations at the site of the tragedy, which is being described as the largest building accident in the recent past in Chennai.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
“Rescue operations are on in full swing. Our priority is to locate survivors. We are using modern cameras to locate them and are watching closely for any voices from within the debris,” said NDRF DIG SP Selvan.
Sniffer dogs, too, have been brought in to locate persons trapped in the rubble.
Officials are speaking to those who have been rescued to gather information about the number of people who were in the building when the mishap struck at around 5 PM on Saturday.
“Twenty-two fire tenders from Chennai and neighbouring districts like Kancheepuram, Tiruvallur, Vellore as also from Tiruchirappalli have been kept ready near the site along with over 50 ambulances. Construction equipment and JCB vehicles have been rushed to the spot and have been taking part in rescue efforts since last evening,” said Kancheepuram District Collector, Baskaran.
Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa has announced a solatium of Rs 2 lakh each for the families of the deceased while Rs 50,000 has been extended to those who have been injured in the building collapse.
Roads near the building collapse site have been cleared to allow smooth conduct of rescue operations while Jayalalithaa has directed the Kancheepuram district administration to ensure medical treatment for the injured and also arrange for their safe journey back home at the government’s expense.
Many of those feared trapped under the debris are believed to hail from Andhra Pradesh.
Minister of State for Heavy Industries Pon Radhakrishnan, MDMK leader Vaiko and MMK chief M H Jawahirullah, who visited the site this morning, called for those responsible behind the incident to be brought to book. DMDK leader Vijaykant, meanwhile, issued a statement condemning the incident and sought action against those responsible.