Union Health Minister Dr Harsh Vardhan Sunday said the Centre would soon start research by experts at Muzaffarpur and Bhagalpur to know the reasons behind deaths due to Acute Encephalitis Syndrome (AES) and will also open virology labs in five districts.
Dr Harsh Vardhan, who inaugurated the Japanese Encephalitis (JE) vaccination camp at Muzaffarpur on Sunday, said 100 per cent immunisation of children was the topmost priority of the government. He also announced that a 100-bed pediatric ICU would be opened at Muzaffarpur, besides increasing the number of medical seats from 150 to 250 at Sri Krishna Medical College and Hospital (SKMCH).
After his visit to two Muzaffarpur hospitals with AES-affected patients, the minister who is on three-day Bihar trip said, “One thing was common at both hospital — over 90 per cent children had not got JE vaccine. Though experts are not sure if AES is because of some virus, we have to achieve 100 per cent immunization”. He said most patients also suffered from potassium and sodium imbalance. So far, 154 children have died because of AES. Besides Muzaffarpur, at least five more districts have reported AES cases. Doctors offer symptomatic treatment to the disease which is marked by high fever and convulsions.
He said the Centre had sought a comprehensive report of AES and encephalitis cases from Gorakhpur and Muzaffarpur. “We have been in talks with experts from CDC, Atlanta, WHO and Unicef. They will carry out devoted research in Bihar to help find a permanent solution to AES,” said Dr Harsh Vardhan, who checked some patients himself.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More