As many as 10 youngsters, who were taking a dip, are currently trapped downstream of the Damodar river in Bokaro after floodgates of Tenughat Dam were opened Friday afternoon.
This comes in the wake of 24 engineering students from Hyderabad being washed away by the Beas in Mandi on June 8.
The gates had to be opened reportedly because of rain. “The boys are from the surrounding villages. We are trying to get a chopper for rescue, but it is proving difficult,” said Jitendra Singh, SP, Bokaro.
Sources said the rescue is expected to go through the night as an Army chopper, summoned from Ranchi, is finding it difficult to spot the boys in the dark when the report last came in.
The youths, aged 16-22, are from a village in the Chandrapura area. They are trapped on a platform in the middle of the river. Two others who are with them swam to safety. Though floodgates were closed around 6 pm, water levels have not dropped below safe points. But, further rain may worsen the situation.
There is also the allegation that there was no warning before the floodgates were opened.
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swam Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
- J.Jayalalithaa’s Life Journey
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched