Ten pilgrims, including six women, were killed and over 60 are injured in a stampede in Kamtanath temple in Satna district in Madhya Pradesh on Monday morning.
“Ten people were killed and over 60 are suspected to be injured in the stampede,” Collector M L Meena said.
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
- Jayalalithaa’s Health: AIADMK Women Supporters Continue Special Prayers For CM
- HTC Desire 10 Lifestyle First Look Video
- Fissures Remain Within Samajwadi Party: All You Need To Know
- Big Cheer For Delhi-Noida Commuters, DND Flyway Becomes Toll Free
- PM Modi Meets New Zealand Prime Minister John Key
- Ex-Arunachal CM Kalikho Pul Left Behind “Secret Notes” Before He Was Found Hanging: Rajkhowa
- Big Relief For Former Karnataka CM BS Yeddyurappa: Here’s Why
- Missing For Three Days, JNU Student Found Dead In Hostel Room
Thousands of pilgrims were present at the temple site on the occasion of Somvati Amavasya when the incident occurred around 6 am. A judicial inquiry has been ordered into the stampede.
Pilgrims either walk or prostrate or roll during the last stretch of the pilgrimage. Generally, the pilgrims who walk keep distance so that their feet don’t touch those who prostrate.
It’s not clear what exactly caused the stampede but most versions said the victims included those lying prostrate. The injured were admitted to a local hospital and one, who is in critical condition, was referred to a bigger hospital.
Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan has announced an ex-gratia of Rs 2 lakh each to the kin of those killed in the stampede; Rs 50,000 to seriously injured and Rs 10,000 to those who suffered minor injuries.
The exact number of persons injured in the stampede will be known later as Collector and other senior officials have rushed to the spot from Satna to take stock of the situation.
with PTI inputs