Ten pilgrims, including six women, were killed and over 60 are injured in a stampede in Kamtanath temple in Satna district in Madhya Pradesh on Monday morning.
“Ten people were killed and over 60 are suspected to be injured in the stampede,” Collector M L Meena said.
Thousands of pilgrims were present at the temple site on the occasion of Somvati Amavasya when the incident occurred around 6 am. A judicial inquiry has been ordered into the stampede.
Pilgrims either walk or prostrate or roll during the last stretch of the pilgrimage. Generally, the pilgrims who walk keep distance so that their feet don’t touch those who prostrate.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
It’s not clear what exactly caused the stampede but most versions said the victims included those lying prostrate. The injured were admitted to a local hospital and one, who is in critical condition, was referred to a bigger hospital.
Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan has announced an ex-gratia of Rs 2 lakh each to the kin of those killed in the stampede; Rs 50,000 to seriously injured and Rs 10,000 to those who suffered minor injuries.
The exact number of persons injured in the stampede will be known later as Collector and other senior officials have rushed to the spot from Satna to take stock of the situation.
with PTI inputs