Prime Minister Manmohan Singh will launch the much-awaited Gandhi heritage web portal at a function in New Delhi on September 2. The portal which will house the “intellectual heritage of Mohandas K Gandhi” has been developed at Sabarmati Gandhi Ashram where its office is also located.
The Union Culture Ministry had sanctioned Rs 8 crore as a corpus fund to the Sabarmati Ashram Preservation and Memorial Trust (SAPMT),Ahmedabad,to create the portal while the trust would earn about Rs 75 lakh as annual interest to run and maintain the portal.
Tridip Suhrud,a noted Gandhian scholar,is the Editor-in-Chief of the portal and overall director of SAPMT. According to Kartikeya Sarabhai,one of the trustees,the Prime Minister will be launching the portal at a function in New Delhi where a small film about the portal will also be presented.
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
- Jayalalithaa’s Health: AIADMK Women Supporters Continue Special Prayers For CM
- HTC Desire 10 Lifestyle First Look Video
- Fissures Remain Within Samajwadi Party: All You Need To Know
- Big Cheer For Delhi-Noida Commuters, DND Flyway Becomes Toll Free
- PM Modi Meets New Zealand Prime Minister John Key
- Ex-Arunachal CM Kalikho Pul Left Behind “Secret Notes” Before He Was Found Hanging: Rajkhowa
- Big Relief For Former Karnataka CM BS Yeddyurappa: Here’s Why
- Missing For Three Days, JNU Student Found Dead In Hostel Room
The portal will be hosting “intellectual” Gandhian heritage in six clusters,including the Collected Works of Mahatma Gandhi (CWMG),Gandhiana (Gandhi’s original writings),writings of Gandhi’s close associates,autobiographies of Indian leaders during Gandhi’s time where Gandhi was mentioned and first and second generation biographies of the leader.
The formation of portal is a part of recommendations of the Gandhi Heritage Committee headed by Gandhi’s grandson,Gopal Krishna Gandhi. Eventually, there were some modifications in the original recommendations to make the portal as open-source archive.
SAMPT has hired around 50 persons to run the portal which is said to be the biggest forum with regard to information on Gandhi. The officials also claim that “it will be the most authentic source of information.”