Former Haryana minister Gopal Goyal Kanda,an accused in the Geetika Sharma suicide case,was granted interim bail by a Delhi Court on Thursday.
Kanda,who has been in custody for over 14 months now,was given bail till October 4 to attend the state Assembly Session.
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Audience Reaction: Ranbir, Aishwarya, Anushka Starrer Gets A Thumbs Up
- Bigg Boss 10, October 27 Review: Navin, Lokesh Fights During The Immunity Task
- Shivaay Audience Reaction: Ajay Devgn Impresses Viewers
- Pakistan High Commission Staffer Caught With Defence Documents: What It Means For India & Pakistan
- The Royal Opera House Reopens After Decades Of Neglect: Here’s A Quick Tour
- Tata Sons Rubbishes Cyrus Mistry’s Allegations: Here’s What Happened
- Pakistan High Commissioner denies allegations leveled on his staffer for espionage activities
- Odisha: Villagers Refuse To Cremate Dalit Woman’s Body
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
A legislator from Sirsa,Kanda sought bail on the ground that he wanted to perform welfare activities and help the public,especially his constituency.
Additional Sessions Judge M C Gupta granted the relief to Kanda considering “special circumstances” that he has to attend the Assembly session and has to look after the development of his constituency Sirsa.
The court directed Kanda to furnish a personal bond of Rs five lakh and two sureties of the like amount.
It also imposed several conditions on him including that he will not leave the country and will not flee from justice.
The court had on Wednesday reserved its order on Kanda’s plea after hearing arguments from his counsel and the prosecution.
Recently,the court had also granted interim bail till November 15 to Aruna Chadha,Kanda’s employee and co-accused in the case,for attending religious and family events.
Earlier during the arguments,Kanda’s counsel had said that he is an MLA from Haryana and he wanted to attend the Assembly session for which he was seeking interim bail.
“He is an MLA from Sirsa which is a big constituency. He has to perform many obligations and welfare activities for his people. Funds for his constituency are lying unutilized. Public is suffering,in the end,” the counsel had said.
He had said Kanda had surrendered on August 18 last year and has been in custody for over an year and as investigation is complete,there is nothing left for the police to apprehend that he might hamper the case.
Additional Public Prosecutor Rajiv Mohan had opposed his plea,saying,”There is reasonable apprehension of his tampering with the evidence.”
Geetika Sharma,who was employed with Kanda’s MDLR airlines,was found dead on August 5,2012 at her Ashok Vihar residence in North West Delhi. In her August 4,2012 suicide note,she had said she was ending her life due to “harassment” by Kanda and his aide Aruna Chadha.
Kanda,who was then Minister of State for Home in Haryana,was forced to resign following the registration of the case.
(With PTI inputs)