Former Haryana minister Gopal Goyal Kanda,an accused in the Geetika Sharma suicide case,was granted interim bail by a Delhi Court on Thursday.
Kanda,who has been in custody for over 14 months now,was given bail till October 4 to attend the state Assembly Session.
A legislator from Sirsa,Kanda sought bail on the ground that he wanted to perform welfare activities and help the public,especially his constituency.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
Additional Sessions Judge M C Gupta granted the relief to Kanda considering “special circumstances” that he has to attend the Assembly session and has to look after the development of his constituency Sirsa.
The court directed Kanda to furnish a personal bond of Rs five lakh and two sureties of the like amount.
It also imposed several conditions on him including that he will not leave the country and will not flee from justice.
The court had on Wednesday reserved its order on Kanda’s plea after hearing arguments from his counsel and the prosecution.
Recently,the court had also granted interim bail till November 15 to Aruna Chadha,Kanda’s employee and co-accused in the case,for attending religious and family events.
Earlier during the arguments,Kanda’s counsel had said that he is an MLA from Haryana and he wanted to attend the Assembly session for which he was seeking interim bail.
“He is an MLA from Sirsa which is a big constituency. He has to perform many obligations and welfare activities for his people. Funds for his constituency are lying unutilized. Public is suffering,in the end,” the counsel had said.
He had said Kanda had surrendered on August 18 last year and has been in custody for over an year and as investigation is complete,there is nothing left for the police to apprehend that he might hamper the case.
Additional Public Prosecutor Rajiv Mohan had opposed his plea,saying,”There is reasonable apprehension of his tampering with the evidence.”
Geetika Sharma,who was employed with Kanda’s MDLR airlines,was found dead on August 5,2012 at her Ashok Vihar residence in North West Delhi. In her August 4,2012 suicide note,she had said she was ending her life due to “harassment” by Kanda and his aide Aruna Chadha.
Kanda,who was then Minister of State for Home in Haryana,was forced to resign following the registration of the case.
(With PTI inputs)