INS Vindhyagiri (F-42),the sixth and the last of the Nilgiri class of frigates which was damaged in an accident last year,has been decommissioned.
The warship,which derives its name from the Vindhyagiri hills,was built by Mazagon Docks Ltd and served the Navy for 31 years.
It served as the flagship of the Western Fleet and later its role shifted to maritime surveillance,coastal patrol and anti piracy operations.
The ship was decommissioned on June 10,a year earlier than scheduled,after being hit by a merchant vessel while entering harbour last year,an official release said.
The ship was salvaged but the damage sustained on account of the fire and flooding was assessed to be such as to render it beyond economical repair,it said.
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
Rear Admiral Abhay Karve,Flag Officer Commanding Western Fleet,presided over the decommissioning ceremony.
The ship,commissioned on July 8,1981,spent a year- and-a-half inside the Naval Dockyard following the accident last year.
On May 8,the Bombay High Court had permitted the Navy to destroy the ship after an application was filed seeking permission on the grounds that ammunition was still inside the ship.
On January 30,2011,the warship had collided with MV Nordlake near Sunk Rock lighthouse. The same evening a major fire broke out and it took over 15 hours to control it. On January 31,it sank due to water filling its chambers.
After the collision,senior Naval officers were deliberating on refitting the ship,but the cost of the repairs made the job unviable.