Attack on managers directed by 17 present in conference room: Police

Plant stares at indefinite closure

Written by Ananya Bhardwaj | New Delhi | Published: July 21, 2012 2:16 am

Plant stares at indefinite closure

The violence-hit Maruti Suzuki plant in Manesar faces an indefinite shutdown,even as the company stands to lose nearly Rs 83 crore a day until production resumes.

Police said they were looking for 17 members of the workers’ union named in the FIR.

“They were present at the meeting in the conference room with the managers. They reportedly directed fellow workers to attack the executives after the management refused to reinstate a suspended worker,” a police officer said.

The Maruti Suzuki management,in a statement,said the shutdown would continue on Saturday. “Treatment of the 33 supervisors and managers still admitted to hospitals in Gurgaon is our priority. Besides,the company has to assess the damage to the facilities and offices,” it said.

Company officials,however,claimed that the plant would remain shut indefinitely.

Asked why the company hasn’t set a timeline for resumption of production,Maruti Suzuki Managing Director and CEO Shinzo Nakanishi said: “That’s true…I don’t know when we will start production at Manesar.”

However,Haryana Industry Secretary Y S Malik ruled out the possibility of plant permanent lockout at the Manesar plant. “It is too far fetched,” he said.

More than 40 wounded managers were discharged from hospital on Friday morning,while two Japanese executives,who were in the ICU,were shifted to the ward.

An official said Saijo (42) and Tori (50) suffered severe head injuries. “Critical nerves that control brain functioning were injured. A team of neurosurgeons operated upon them. They are stable now. They will be in hospital for the next couple of days,” he said.

“The Japanese officials are in touch with their families via Skype,” the official said.

Over 1,000 policemen guarded the plant on Friday,two days after rampaging workers assaulted managers with rods and car parts and set the factory ablaze. General manager (human resource) Awanish Kumar Dev was charred to death. Dev’s autopsy report says his legs were broken in the attack and he was unable to save himself from the fire.

Having already picked up 99 people for Wednesday’s violence,police have sought to detain the entire workforce of 3,000 at Manesar,sources said.

Policemen were also deployed at Maruti Suzuki’s old car plant in Gurgaon,the engine plant of Suzuki Powertrain in Manesar and the Suzuki Motorcycle unit in Kherki Daula as a precautionary step,Gurgaon Police Commissioner K K Sindhu said.

Amid police deployment,trailer trucks loaded with cars,which were produced prior to the violence,were seen leaving the factory premises on Friday morning.

Grief,gloom at Dev’s house

Maruti Suzuki general manager (HR) Awanish Kumar Dev,who died in the violence at the Manesar plant,had move into A-34,Shivalik in Malviya Nagar with his family in 2011. His wife,Suparna Prasad,is a deputy director in the Ministry of Defence,while their son is in Class XII. On Friday,neighbours and colleagues turned up in large numbers to offer condolences. “His body was so charred,it wasn’t brought to the house. It was taken to Nigambodh Ghat and cremated on Thursday evening,” a neighbour said.

For all the latest India News, download Indian Express App

  1. No Comments.