Six days after he set himself ablaze outside Chhattisgarh Chief Minister Raman Singh’s residence in Raipur, 28-year-old Yogesh Sahu succumbed to injuries in the early hours of Wednesday.
Sahu, who suffered from a physical disability, was upset over his unemployment. He had come to meet Singh at a jandarshan programme — a weekly event where the CM interacts with people at his residence. He was reportedly unable to meet the CM and set himself on fire with kerosene oil outside the gates.
“He had suffered 85 per cent burns. As part of attempts to save his life, he was shifted from Ambedkar hospital to Kalda burn and cosmetic surgery hospital, but he could not recover,” a senior police officer told The Indian Express.
CM Raman Singh called the death “sad and unfortunate” and added that nobody “should take such steps.” Congress and Ajit Jogi’s Chhattisgarh Janata Congress have slammed the government over Sahu’s death.