Lavishing praise on Anna Hazare for his contribution to society, Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis said he cannot withdraw his security cover after the social activist questioned the protection assigned to him.
In a letter to Hazare, Fadnavis also apologised to him for any “lapses” in the security cover provided to him.
Describing Hazare as a “sage-like personality”, he said the social activist had done a lot for society and his life was precious.
“I can’t withdraw your security cover,” the CM wrote.
- My agitation won’t give rise to another Kejriwal, says Anna Hazare
- Party-driven system fomented corruption, casteism, says Anna Hazare
- Modi government weakened Lokpal Act: Anna Hazare
- Devendra Fadnavis says Anna Hazare ‘too precious to be lost’, refuses to withdraw security cover
- Anna says no,but state will continue Z-grade security
- Anna Hazare provided ‘Z’ category security
Social activist Hazare, who has been given ‘Z’ category security cover, had recently alleged that the security personnel assigned to him were lax in their duty.
At the same time, he had said the government need not upgrade his security and that he won’t blame it if something untoward were to happen to him.
Hazare said it was not easy to support a retinue of nine bodyguards and 28 police personnel at Ralegan Siddhi village. He had said many a times those tasked with his security weren’t there or come late when he is doing his morning yoga exercise.
“They are also engrossed in their mobile phones and busy chatting. They won’t even realise if someone were to walk in and kill me,” he had said.
The anti-corruption crusader had said that increasing his security would put a financial burden on the state.
Hazare’s statement had come after several threat letters were sent to him last year.