The construction work on a memorial for former President A P J Abdul Kalam began in Peikarumbu in Rameswaram on Saturday on the occasion of his 85th birth anniversary. The former President’s elder brother APJ Muthumeeran Maraikayar performed the ‘Bhoomi Puja’ at the memorial site, marking the commencement of the construction work. Several students and family members of the former president and government officials took part in the event.
On Friday, a team of DRDO officials led by PK Singh had visited the site and held discussions with local officials regarding various aspects of the memorial. A total of Rs 50 crore had been allocated for the memorial and a knowledge centre, they had said. In the first phase, Rs 15 crore would be spent on the construction of the memorial on a 27,000 sq ft area.
It would cover the burial site and a statue of Kalam. The memorial would be ready for inauguration on July 27 next year, the second death anniversary of the former President. The construction of knowledge centre will be taken up in the second phase, they added.
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
- Jayalalithaa’s Health: AIADMK Women Supporters Continue Special Prayers For CM
- HTC Desire 10 Lifestyle First Look Video
- Fissures Remain Within Samajwadi Party: All You Need To Know
- Big Cheer For Delhi-Noida Commuters, DND Flyway Becomes Toll Free
- PM Modi Meets New Zealand Prime Minister John Key
- Ex-Arunachal CM Kalikho Pul Left Behind “Secret Notes” Before He Was Found Hanging: Rajkhowa
- Big Relief For Former Karnataka CM BS Yeddyurappa: Here’s Why
- Missing For Three Days, JNU Student Found Dead In Hostel Room
- Bigg Boss 10: Review Of October 25 Episode
- Delhi Government’s Rs 200 Crore Riverfront Plan: Find Out More
- School in Jammu & Kashmir’s Bandipore District Set on Fire
- Ajay Devgn On The Making Of Shivaay: Exclusive Interview
- Bodies Of Maoists Killed In Malkangiri Encounter, One Of The Biggest Such Operations