A 32-year-old woman and her minor daughter were injured today when fire broke out in a building in east Delhi’s Ghazipur area.
“We received a call around 6.55 AM about a fire breaking out in a general store located in Mayur Vihar phase III. Ten firetenders were rushed to the spot to control the blaze. The fire was doused by 8 AM,” a Delhi Fire Services official said. He said the injured have been identified as Pushpa and her four-year-old daughter Aditi.
Watch What Else Is Making News
They were taken to LBS Hospital where they were stated to be out of danger. Two other persons sustained minor injuries. Pushpa and Aditi were coming downstairs when they sustained burn injuries from the flames, police said.
“The building houses a general store and a godown of soaps and detergents at the ground floor while the remaining floors
have houses. The fire started from the ground floor and was controlled before it could spread to the other floors where many people stay. Had it spread to other floors, it could have been a major disaster,” a senior police officer said.
The cause of the fire is suspected to be short-circuit. A crime team inspected the site and their report is awaited, the officer added.
For all the latest India News, download Indian Express App now