Navjot Kaur Sidhu spoke to The Indian Express after it was announced that she was joining Congress. She is known for her candid talk but, unlike the past, she avoided direct answers. Here are excerpts from the interview:
Watch What Else Is Making News
Have you decided from where to contest?
I will join Congress officially on November 28 and the party has decided to field me from Amritsar East constituency.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
There are a few videos doing the rounds in social media where have been speaking against Punjab Pardesh Congress Committee president Captain Amarinder Singh. What is your take on that?
When you are representing different political parties, it’s obvious you speak against each other. But when you change your party and join another political party, you accept its leadership and follow the protocol and refrain from lashing out at each other personally. He (Captain Amarinder) must had spoken many things against me in the past. When you change your party, you make a fresh start.
Have you met Captain Amarinder in recent days?
Yes, I had met Captain Amarinder and wouldn’t had joined Congress without meeting him. He (Captain Amarinder) was very affectionate towards me and he told me that it was his responsibility to win Amritsar East seat for me. There was nothing like any misunderstanding with Captain.
You have inclinations towards the RSS and Congress has sharp ideological differences with the outfit.
I respect every good person and will continue to do so in future. I will do this irrespective of politics.
You are also an admirer of Prime Minister Narendera Modi.
I support those who are doing good and I speak against those who are involved in wrongdoings. Now I am not at that level in party where I can interfere in the work of seniors. I will work on my level, according to my position in the party and I’ll be responsible for my actions. (Mai 117 MLAs da theka nahi lya and Na hi Mai laina). I am not responsible for nor will I own up any action of 117 MLAs. In the present scenario, Congress is the most stable platform for Punjab.
If Navjot Singh Sidhu is also joining Congress?
Not right now.
There are speculations that you will be deputy chief minister if Congress forms the government in state.
I do not disclose the things which are not on record. Whatever the decision, it would be announced at the party level.