Why bind ourselves to ‘no first use policy’, says Parrikar on India’s nuke doctrine

"Why should I bind myself? I should say I am a responsible nuclear power and I will not use it irresponsibly. This is my (personal) thinking," Parrikar said.

By: PTI | Published:November 10, 2016 10:24 pm
Manohar Parrikar, Demonetisation, India nuclear policy, parrikar Nuclear policy, Parrikar demonetisation, Indian nuclear policy Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar. PTI Photo

Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar on Thursday wondered why India cannot say “we are a responsible nuclear power and I will not use it irresponsibly” instead of affirming a “no first use policy”, remarks he said were personal in nature. “Why should I bind myself? I should say I am a responsible nuclear power and I will not use it irresponsibly. This is my (personal) thinking,” Parrikar said replying to a question as he explained the need to be unpredictable in warfare strategy.

Following the nuclear weapons test in 1998, India had declared a “no first use” nuclear policy. Taking a dig at the media, he said they will publish that the nuclear policy has changed. “It has not changed in government. It is my concept. As an individual I also get feeling. I am not saying you have to use it first. Hoax can be called off,” he said, adding that prior to the surgical strike, Pakistan Defence Minister used to threaten India with the possible use of tactical nuclear weapons.

“From the day surgical strike happened, no threat has come. They realised that we can do something which is not well defined,” he said. Asked if this means that India is going to rethink its nuclear policy, the Minister replied in the negative.

“I am not at all saying about rethinking. What I am saying is that if I fix my doctrine…question was on nuclear,
any aspect of my defence functioning, if I make it predictable, then I will lose the advantage of surprise. Unpredictability has to be built in your certain types of policy. You may decide for yourself, but don’t spell it out,” he said speaking at the launch of the book “The New Arthashastra- A Security Strategy of India,” edited by
Brigadier Gurmeet Kanwal (Retd).

Repeatedly stressing that “it was my personal opinion”, Parrikar said he feels that anything loses its importance if one predicts it. “Basic logic of it, forget about nuclear or anything, basic knowledge of any security apparatus is, its weightage is defined by how I am going to use it. So in a security strategic programme, I am very clear that your strategy also needs to be be slightly kept unpredictable. Then only it carries weight,” he said.

Parrikar also he said he often wonders why India does not have a written security doctrine.

For all the latest India News, download Indian Express App now

Polo
    Nov 10, 2016 at 9:29 pm
    @Raghu:lt;br/gt;lt;br/gt;100% of Indians agree that 100% of b r a h m i n s are the WORLD's OLDEST PROFESSIONALS!!! Ha....ha....ha.
      Prateik
      Nov 10, 2016 at 9:17 pm
      Eminent scientist Mr.Santhanam who measured the has whistle blowed that 1998 NUCLEAR TEST WAS A DUD. lt;br/gt;lt;br/gt;TOTAL PARIKAR WAS IN LKG THEN AND HE CONTINUES TO BE IN LKG EVEN NOW.
        Michellegt;Vedicgt;human
        Nov 10, 2016 at 11:44 pm
        The first Indian NUKE will be tested on PORKISTAN.---it will be named---PUKED NUKED.
          Michellegt;Vedicgt;human
          Nov 11, 2016 at 12:00 am
          The first Indian NUKE will be tested on PORKISTAN.---it will be named--PORKY---PUKED---NUKED.
            SubbuI
            Nov 10, 2016 at 5:54 pm
            GREAT. THIS IS WHAT RSS TAUGHT THIS JOKER AND NALAYAK NMODI IN THEIR SHAKA NAGPUR.WE ARE ALLWAYS DOUBTFUL THAT THESE SANGHIS AGENDA. IT IS TOO BAD! HOPE NATIONS PRESEDENT AND SUPREME COMMANDER SHOULD TAKE COMMAND OF OUR NUKES FROM THIS RSS MAD DOGS
            1. Z
              zizek
              Nov 10, 2016 at 5:27 pm
              It was folly of our government to first of all go for nuclear testing and then saying that we bind ourselves by "no first use" policy. That is problematic. Nuclear weapons are made for deterrence primarily, and maximum deterrence at that. lt;br/gt;lt;br/gt;What type of deterrence is it when even a Chindi country like Pak threaten us with nuclear weapons? Change the policy. I totally agree with Parrikar.
              1. I
                Ibrahim
                Nov 10, 2016 at 6:11 pm
                Free Baluchistan
                1. I
                  Ibrahim
                  Nov 10, 2016 at 7:17 pm
                  Help Baluch freedom fighters and break stan, I request my PM to repeat 1971 by liberating Baluchistan
                  1. I
                    Ibrahim
                    Nov 10, 2016 at 6:27 pm
                    I request my PM to help and free Baluchistan
                    1. I
                      Ibrahim
                      Nov 10, 2016 at 6:14 pm
                      I request my PM to repeat 1971
                      1. I
                        Ibrahim
                        Nov 10, 2016 at 6:17 pm
                        Pak couldn't snatch Kashmir from us since 1947 and I hope we Indian may get free Baluchistan within year...ahahahah Jai Hind
                        1. T
                          Tamir
                          Nov 10, 2016 at 11:50 pm
                          Shri Parikarji is a very intelligent minister. He exactly know how to boost the disastrously sagging morale of dumbhakts for the UP elections. See how many fools below had a morale booster.
                            ashis
                            Nov 10, 2016 at 5:34 pm
                            Mr Parrikar j, Modi J and his minister will hide in the safe bunkers. Your patronage Ambani and Aadani will fly away abroad. We the Aaam Aadmi will die of radiation war. lt;br/gt;Eat good, be healthy and stop your *yappa.
                              Avinash
                              Nov 10, 2016 at 11:10 pm
                              First develop basic ammunition and weapons sir. you talk a lot and then go and buy toys.
                              1. B
                                Barb Dewyre
                                Nov 10, 2016 at 6:42 pm
                                Such a major change in the government's stance should have been made by the Prime Minister and only after a parliamentary debate.
                                1. C
                                  Chetan More
                                  Nov 10, 2016 at 6:24 pm
                                  what is the red thing he is wearing in his wrist. he needs amulets and threads to protect himself. how can he protect the nation.
                                  1. C
                                    Citi Sites
                                    Nov 10, 2016 at 6:06 pm
                                    Cannot agree more! Well said.. Now we are talking sense
                                      Dev
                                      Nov 10, 2016 at 5:47 pm
                                      The defense minister is absolutely right. We actually need to rethink on our "no first use policy".
                                      1. J
                                        Jai ram
                                        Nov 10, 2016 at 6:47 pm
                                        Mr.Pariker is right. In defence matters,things shouldn't be very clear to opponents.Govt.should rethink.
                                          Sreenivasan
                                          Nov 11, 2016 at 8:08 am
                                          Donald Trump will tell Parrikar that it is a foolish policy. We should pull the trigger as and when we are angry. Why check ourselves to see whether we are the first or second ? When we should discuss and force others to discuss about the modalities of complete discarding of nuclear weapons, a Minister on a high because of the "success of surgical strike" open his mouth more than necessary. This is what we do not expect from an Indian Minister.
                                          1. B
                                            Bory
                                            Nov 10, 2016 at 5:33 pm
                                            This is how a independent sovereign state defence minister has to speak. Indian media can be compared with the US media how rhey supported Trump.