The family of an undertrial who died during treatment at SSKM hospital early Saturday raised a protest, alleging that police excesses were the reason for the death.
Watch What Else is Making News
According to sources, Fardeen Khan (19) was arrested by New Alipore police on November 7 under Section 379 of the IPC (Punishment for theft). He was produced in court and remanded to judicial custody till November 17.
“He died of acute cardiac arrest on November 19 at around 2 am. We are looking into the case. He was a drug addict, and was in judicial custody. The police had appealed to the court for his custody, and was granted the same. But before he could be interrogated, he was taken to the hospital because he wasn’t well,” Joint CP (Crime) Vishal Garg told The Indian Express.
Police sources said while the undertrial was in judicial custody, detectives appealed to the court for his custody as they had to interrogate him in another case where his name had popped up. On November 16, Khan was handed over to police custody. However, before they could interrogate him, they found him ill and took him to SSKM hospital on November 17, police said.
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
- J.Jayalalithaa’s Life Journey
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
When news of his death reached his relatives, they started shouting slogans against the police and alleged that police had not taken prompt action in ensuring proper treatment for him.
Police forces were deployed to bring the situation under control. While the family alleged that they were not informed by police on time, and that Fardeen’s death was due to the police’s unrestrained behaviour, senior officers assured that a proper inquiry would be conducted into the matter.