A suspected terrorist was arrested from Viswabharati Fast Passenger train at Burdwan station this evening, police said.
Acting on specific intelligence input that a terrorist was on board the train going from Howrah to Rampurhat, police captured him from a coach and handed him over to Burdwan railway police.
Senior police officials from Burdwan and Kolkata went to the GRP office while National Investigation Agency (NIA) has been informed, police said adding that the man is being questioned.
- Kolkata police arrest six linked to Bangladesh terror group
- Mosiruddin recruiting youths for IS from J&K, Delhi: Cops
- 'Arrested terror suspect went to Kashmir for IS, JMB training'
- Terrorist arrested at Bardhaman station has links to IS: West Bengal CID
- Blasts in West Bengal: A timeline
- Burdwan blast: NIA arrests madrasa owner
The name or other details of the suspected terrorist is not immediately available.
Burdwan district came into the terror map in October 2014 when two suspected JMB terrorists were killed at a rented house in Khagragarh locality of this town while making IEDs.
NIA arrested a mechanical engineering student on suspicion of being a terrorist from Durgapur in March this year. Another person, suspected to be Bangladeshi militant, was also arrested from Asansol later.