Seven persons, including three children and as many women, sustained severe burn injuries on Sunday after a fire broke out in an illegal firework manufacturing unit in Naihati area of North 24 Parganas district.
Fire brigade officials said the fire ravaged two store rooms, one room where the work was going on and a bedroom of the house where the factory was functioning at Debgram locality.
Two of the injured children are eight years old and the third one is 11 years, the officials said, adding all the seven victims suffered 60-70 per cent burns.
- Maharashtra fire: Three die as chemical reactor explodes at industrial unit in Tarapur
- Kamala Mills, Kalachowki and now Palghar: A look back at recent fire tragedies in Maharashtra
- Maharashtra: Three dead, several injured after fire breaks out at Palghar chemical factory
- Malad: Fire breaks out at home, woman, daughter injured
- Fire at cloth mill in an industrial estate in Mumbai
- At least 17 killed in fire at illegal firecracker storage unit in Delhi’s Bawana industrial area
The injured were taken to JNM Hospital in Kalyani where their condition was stated to be critical.
Two fire tenders managed to control the fire in the factory which was termed ‘illegal’ by fire brigade officials.
The owner of the factory fled after the incident.