Calling the recently-concluded event of Art of Living (AOL) Foundation on the floodplains of Yamuna river a “blatant, and complete violation” of laws, former Environment Minister Jairam Ramesh Thursday wondered whether some “higher-ups” had made phone calls to the National Green Tribunal, which had allowed the event to go on.
“These days the communication technology is such that one cannot say I did not get your call… Maybe someone… I don’t know… higher-ups… it is possible… made phone calls to the NGT,” said Ramesh, after delivering the B G Verghese Lecture.
- World Culture Festival: Finally, Sri Sri Ravi Shankar pays compensation amount to NGT
- 5 crore becomes 5 per cent the day after Sri Sri Ravi Shankar says he won’t pay NGT fine
- Everything’s fine, says Sri Sri Ravi Shankar, except the fine
- Will go to jail but not pay a penny: Sri Sri Ravi Shankar on NGT fine
- Sri Sri Event Gets NGT Go-Ahead: The Details
- NGT clears World culture festival, but with a Rs 5 crore slap on the wrist
The NGT had last week imposed an initial fine of Rs 5 crore on Sri Sri Ravi Shankar’s AOL for the damage being caused to the floodplains, but had allowed its World Culture Festival to go on as “fait accompli”. The NGT had ruled that the AOL would have to pay for the restoration of the Yamuna, the cost of which would be determined by an expert panel.
Ramesh said the Narendra Modi government had been ignoring environmental concerns in its pursuit to achieve economic growth. He claimed that the RSS was much more positive on environment.
“The RSS and the Prime Minister have very divergent lines on the issue of environment protection. The RSS does not want any dams on Ganga, but Mr Modi does. The RSS is very circumspect about genetically modified food, but Mr Modi is not. RSS wants strict enforcement of (laws related to) tribal rights and forest rights but Mr Modi does not,” he said.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More