Was shivering on first day in office as Defence Minister: Manohar Parrikar

"Let me admit, I was shivering on the first day (of taking charge). I put up a brave face banking on my experience, but in reality I didn't even had knowledge about the rank of military officers," he said.

By: PTI | Panaji | Updated: November 28, 2016 9:01 am
Manohar Parrikar, Defence Minister, narendra modi, Manohar Parrikar Defence Minister, Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar, defence ministry, india news Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar at Parliament House during the winter session, in New Delhi on Friday. PTI Photo

In a candid admission, Manohar Parrikar on Saturday said he was “shivering” on his first in office as Defence Minister though he tried to put up a brave face. “When I went to Delhi, I took experience of that city. I became Defence Minister with the blessings of you all. I was not knowing anything,” Parrikar said addressing a ‘Vijay Sankalp’ rally at Sanvordem constituency on Saturday.

“Let me admit, I was shivering on the first day (of taking charge). I put up a brave face banking on my experience, but in reality I didn’t even had knowledge about the rank of military officers,” he said. Parrikar was Chief Minister of Goa before his induction into the Union Cabinet by Prime Minister Narendra Modi.

“Goa’s brush with the military was during 1961 when Indian Army liberated the state from Portuguese rule. After that we saw 1965 and 1971 wars. During the Kargil war, I have given slogans but in reality I was unaware about what is war and what is the preparedness required for that,” he said. The minister said he realised that “armament stores are empty and government had tied hands of the soldiers. I did nothing much for last two years but told army that if anyone attacks, you are free to retaliate”.

“You have noticed the impact of this liberty. Whenever there was attack on us, our brave soldiers have retaliated strongly. May be the surgical strike (in PoK) or firing at the line of border, Army has responded strongly, forcing the enemy to plead for peace. During last four days, there is no firing on the border.”

For all the latest India News, download Indian Express App now

First Published on: November 28, 2016 8:53 am
    Abhijit Bhattacharya
    Nov 28, 2016 at 7:11 am
    Another joker of the in the Modi cabinet
      Dash
      Nov 28, 2016 at 5:32 am
      Manohar Parrikar is working on a mission mode to modernize our armed forces. Indegenization is not a dream anymore. His innovation in ballistic missile defence programme saved Rs.50000 crore.
      1. E
        Enchanted Tunes
        Nov 28, 2016 at 6:36 am
        Bakwas karwalo inse ... isi me hi mahir hai ye. You Sir are a stain on the defense establishment. Jai Bharat!
          Santano Fernandes
          Nov 28, 2016 at 10:44 am
          You were shivering because being an RSS you were thinking of PAK only and how you deal with them. The normal approach of a nervous leader is to tell his team is "Do you want don't bother" only thing the leader will not tell that I don't know much. lt;br/gt;Good, our boys at the front and Army leaders know what they are doing, otherwise our politicians will bring anyone from any corner of the country and plant as a Defense Minister, as Finance Minister, as an Education Minister etc. See the mess now inside the country of the Demonetization process, finance minister with no experience made a surgical strike on its citizen, so the policy of "Do what you want" is going on.......
          1. I
            Indianajones
            Nov 28, 2016 at 5:43 am
            A dumb fo*l is anytime better than a stup*d loudmouth! On OROP, go and tell any veteran about what do you think about it and you get a good smack on your dearie!
            1. I
              Indianajones
              Nov 28, 2016 at 5:38 am
              Lol..... Name that ballistic missile please! Are you getting paid for writing such cr*p?
                syed
                Nov 28, 2016 at 5:33 am
                Bakht, how did Antony compromised national interest? do you have proof? if yes why don't you go to court? lt;br/gt;lt;br/gt;Are you leveling false allegation because he is Antony? lt;br/gt;lt;br/gt;Know about him before you comments. Antony was much better than this fool, who can not stop taking. This fellow is learning his marketing skill straight from Modi
                  Shankar
                  Nov 28, 2016 at 3:44 am
                  This guy is a bigger nautanki than Smriti Yale Educated Irani .....
                    Pulak Mukherjee
                    Nov 28, 2016 at 4:10 am
                    The defence forces including veterans are yet to stop shivering since then
                    1. C
                      Chary Ramesh
                      Nov 28, 2016 at 9:12 am
                      Now,we are shivering everyday thinking about those words of wisdom that come out of his mouth after he got his 'foot in mouth' disease
                        Ravindra
                        Nov 28, 2016 at 5:29 am
                        Can somebody stop him from talking? I am a BJP man and Parikkar has done a lot of good work after he became defence minister. But he should leave any talking to somebody more matured. Somebody help!!
                          sundaram
                          Nov 28, 2016 at 6:13 am
                          Mr Parrikker is doing wonderful job and much better work than any former ministers of Defense this country has seen. He should talk less which should work good for him.He will transform our defense capabilities.
                            Sam
                            Nov 28, 2016 at 3:59 am
                            Defence minister has a tendency to make loose statements which rather than helping a situation ends up vitiating it more. For example, he claimed two days ago that stan called the DGM begging him to stop firing. Now, that may be the truth but let us be gracious in victory rather than making the enemy think that he has to somehow hit back to salvage some pride and then the vicious cycle continues. I expected more maturity from an ex-IIT and a CM with a good track record. Hope better sense prevails.