THE Tamil Nadu Police formed two special teams to trace two final year MBBS students who allegedly threw a dog from the terrace of a three-storey building. The incident, which happened on Monday according to the FIR, was first reported after students uploaded the video footage on social media and it went viral.
The accused are identified as Gowtham Sudarshan and Ashish Paul, final year MBBS students at a top private medical college, and have been charged under Section 428 and 429 of the IPC, besides the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act, according to a police officer at Kundrathur police station, 30 km from Chennai.
- First year MBBS student raped in medical college campus
- Chennai: MBBS students who threw dog from terrace to pay Rs 2 lakh fine
- Hyderabad: Five minor boys burn 3 puppies alive, record video
- Chennai dog torture case: Two accused suspended from medical college
- Chennai dog torture case: Two arrested, canine out of danger
- Social activism: Now, FB post identifying the men who threw dog and filmed it goes viral
“They are absconding and a team has been formed to trace them. One of them was traced to a place near Nagercoil and another is near Tirunelveli. They will be arrested soon,” said the officer. “Both students have switched off their phones but we expect to arrest them by morning.”
In the video, Gowtham is purportedly seen throwing the dog from the terrace. Ashish, who videographed the incident, tilts the camera down to capture the dog wailing after hitting the ground below.