As allegations of cattle smuggling and cow slaughter continue to cloud the murder of local Dalit VHP leader Arun Mahaur in Agra, investigations have revealed that the incident took place a day after an altercation between the victim and the main accused. On Sunday, the RSS, VHP and Bajrang Dal are expected to hold a meeting on the matter in Agra.
On February 24, residents of Tola Munnalal locality under Mantola police station area complained against the main accused, Shahrukh (24), claiming that he indulged in “goondagardi”. “He abuses us and misbehaves with girls,” read the letter, urging the authorities to act against the accused.
- Muslim outfit felicitates BJP leaders to ‘ease tension’ in Agra
- Chorus against MoS Katheria’s hate speech: ‘BJP eyeing UP polls’
- Agra hate speech: VHP, BJP leaders booked
- Agra: ‘Killed VHP leader had scuffle with accused a day earlier’
- VHP Leader’s Murder: Three held, cops say no cow slaughter angle
- Agra locality tense after VHP leader shot dead
Police sources, however, said the residents did not submit a letter to the police that day and tried to resolve the issue on their own.
Senior police officials said Mahaur, the VHP district vice-president, heard of the complaint on February 24 — a day before he was shot dead — and there was a scuffle between Mahaur and Shahrukh.
“The locality is dominated by Mahaurs or members of the Koli community. Many of them have sold or rented their property. Shahrukh lived in one such rented accommodation. Mahaur used to live in that locality till three years ago, but he was still a local leader. On February 24, he went to talk to Shahrukh,” said B S Tyagi, Deputy SP (Chatta area), Agra.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
“Mahaur was accompanied by local residents and, at some point, it seems Shahrukh was beaten up. Someone informed Shahrukh’s mother about it, and she arrived and pleaded with everyone to let her son go. She assured them that Shahrukh would mend his ways. At that point, Shahrukh shouted at his mother and asked her to stop begging,” Tyagi said.
Police said Shahrukh then went to his friends and told them he was going to kill Mahaur.
At 10.30 am on February 25, as Mahaur was returning to his furniture shop in Nai ki Mandi from a nearby temple, Shahrukh allegedly fired at him. Mahaur was declared “brought dead” at the hospital.
An FIR against five persons was registered under IPC sections of murder and rioting at Mantola police station. “All five accused — Shahrukh, Raja, Dilshad, Imtiaz and Abid — have been arrested,” police said.
Meanwhile, Mahaur’s family alleged a larger conspiracy behind his murder, claiming he was killed because of his work opposing cow slaughter. While the police maintained that none of the accused were involved in cattle smuggling or cow slaughter, Vinod Mahaur, the local VHP leader’s brother, said, “My brother was killed because he worked very hard to stop cow slaughter in this area. All the five accused are involved in beef trade. The beef trading nexus here is involved in the murder of my brother. How else can anyone dare to kill a senior VHP leader?”
He added that his family had never been threatened before this incident.