The BJP has established its hold in the Vadodara Metropolitan Planning Committee (VMPC) in the maiden elections. In the results declared on Tuesday, BJP was declared winner on all 30 seats for the committee, for which the elected representatives cast their votes on Monday.
The elections were always meant to be a cakewalk for the ruling party as it enjoys a majority in the General Board with 58 elected representatives. However, much to the party’s surprise, 11 BJP corporators found their votes cancelled as they had voted for more than 30 members.
Officials said that since it was the first election for the VMPC, corporators were “confused” about the people they should be voting for. “The process is new and some of them were unable to grasp the steps. They ended up casting more than 30 votes, which resulted in disqualification. Many BJP corporators have also cast wrong votes to other party leaders in confusion.”
As many as 42 corporators from the BJP and Congress had filed their nominations to be members of the 30 posts in the committee.
Both the contestants and the voters were corporators themselves. Out of the total 76 elected representatives, 75 cast their vote on Monday as BJP’s Deepak Shrivastav remained absent on the voting day. A total of 46 votes from the BJP corporators were counted as valid.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016