Eight persons, including a child, were charred to death when a cracker shop went up in flames in Rustampura in Waghodia taluka of Vadodara district on Friday. The incident occurred late evening on Friday, reportedly caused by a spark in the cracker stack inside the shop. As many as five fire tenders were rushed from Vadodara to join rescue operations. According to local fire officers, the cracker shop was illegal, running from a house, and did not follow the requisite safety measures. Among those dead were three members of a family running the shop, a child, and customers visiting the shop.
Fire officials said that the spark caused such a rapid fire that the entire shop was gutted in no time, giving no chance to the inhabitants to escape. The injured were rushed to SSG hospital in Vadodara, where they succumbed to their injuries. Police said that the identities of those killed were yet to be established as some bodies were charred beyond recognition.
For all the latest India News, download Indian Express App nowFirst Published on: October 28, 2016 9:06 pm