CBI will question Uttarakhand Chief Minister Harish Rawat on Tuesday for the second time in connection with a preliminary inquiry into a sting operation to get information on some specific issues on which it said his responses were not satisfactory.
Sources in the agency had claimed after his first round of question that Rawat could not “furnish full and complete details” on many issues for which he has been called again.
Rawat had countered it saying he fully cooperated with CBI. The sources, however, failed to elaborate on some specific points Rawat did not furnish details. After coming out from the session, Rawat said he cannot reveal the questions asked by the probe team.
- Development has 'gone for a holiday' in Uttarakhand, says Harish Rawat
- Uttarakhand govt working towards boosting health, education infrastructure in hills
- Narendra Modi in Kedarnath highlights: Pledge to devote myself for a 'developed India' by 2022, says PM
- Uttarakhand: Rs 600-cr scam crops up in rice, paddy purchase
- Uttarakhand sting: CBI questions CM Harish Rawat
- CBI questions Uttarakhand CM Harish Rawat for 5 hours
“I need not produce any evidence. I have neither done any horse trading nor given any money to anyone. I never said I want MLAs. People of electronic media reach anywhere. I accorded that journalist respect and he blackmailed me. Media needs to ponder over this,” he said.
The agency has registered a preliminary enquiry(PE) in connection with the alleged sting operation on April 29 reportedly showing Rawat offering bribes to rebel Congress lawmakers to support him during a floor test in the Uttarakhand Assembly.
It was registered on the reference received from the state government (during President’s rule) and subsequent notification from BJP-led central government. The PE is the first step during which the agency verifies the facts in the complaint received by it.
During a PE, the agency can only “request” a person “to join the probe” and cannot summon him, carry out searches or make any arrests. If verification of facts shows need of further probe, it may register an FIR or else close the PE.