Tension prevailed in the city after some persons allegedly pelted stones at a Durga idol immersion procession. Later, irate people blocked the road and clashed with the police, injuring PCA commandant B B Chaurasia and others in brickbatting, promoting police to lathicharge and arrest 17 persons.
The incident took place yesterday after some persons allegedly pelted stones at the procession. Superintendent of Police Sudhir Kumar Singh said 17 persons including BJP leader Mahesh Tiwari were arrested and FIR has been lodged against 100 unidentified persons for breaching peace.
Meanwhile, BJP MP from Kaiserganj, Brijbhushan Sharan Singh, along with his supporters reached the city police station and sat on dharna claiming the police action as “biased”.
- Mumbai’s Haji Ali Dargah Trust to SC: Ready to give women access to sanctum sanctorum
- Samajwadi Party Crisis: 5 Quotes By Mulayam Singh Yadav At Press Conference
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Vs Shivaay: What Delhites Pick
- Supreme Court Directs Vijay Mallya To Fully Disclose Foreign Assets In 4 Weeks
- 5 Reasons To Watch Ae Dil Hai Mushkil
- BSP Supremo Mayawati Criticises PM Modi Over Triple Talaq: Here’s What She Said
- Google Pixel XL Phone Review: Pros, Cons And Final Verdict
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Says Army donation Is Voluntary
- Rock On 2 Trailer Launch: Farhan Akhtar, Shraddha Kapoor, Prachi Desai On Their Roles
- Cyrus Mistry’s Career Timeline
- Stalker Kills Woman At Metro Station In Gurgaon: Here’s What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 October 24 Review: Seven Contestants Nominated For Evictions
- Power Struggle In Mulayam’s Party: Here’s What People Reacted
- 1 Dead, 5 Injured In Low Intensity Explosion In Delhi’s Naya Bazaar Area
- Delhi: Naya Bazar Explosion Cctv Footage
“Stones were pelted on the peaceful procession being carried out for immersion of Durga idol. Instead of arresting them, police has arrested BJP men,…a biased action,” he said.
He alleged that at Guddumal crossing stones were thrown on the procession from a religious place after which Durga Puja samiti office bearers sat on dharna demanding FIR against the accused.
Protesting against the incident, a number of organisation gave a bandh call due to which markets in Nawabganj, Belsar, Wazirganj, Paraspur, Khargupur, Mankapur remained closed today.
Tension is prevailing in the city and administration is trying to control the situation by talking to both the sides. The minority community, citing insecurity as reason did not put Tazia processions despite assurance of district administration. District Magistrate Ashutosh Niranjan has invited prominent personalities of both the sides for talks stating that religious processions would be allowed in traditional way.