Tension erupted in Nizamabad area of Azamgarh after members of two communities clashed in Khudadadpur village Saturday night. The violence, which continued till Sunday morning, left Deputy SP K K Saroj and a few other officers injured.
Inspector General (Varanasi S K Bhagat, who visited the spot on Sunday, said the situation has been brought under control and adequate force has been deployed. Only police officers were injured in the clashes, he added.
- Azamgarh cops obtain proclamation order from court against 36 Muslims
- Behind Bareilly DM’s Facebook post, a tale similar to Kasganj
- Man declared ‘dead’ in Kasganj speaks up: ‘People were using me to incite violence’
- Eight injured in clash over eve-teasing in Muzaffarnagar
- Kasganj violence: 49 arrested, Section 144 still in force
- Azamgarh: Five arrested after clash over loud music during idol immersion, two cops suspended
Police said a Dalit villager named Musafir had lodged a complaint a week ago, alleging that he was assaulted by some Muslim men. Those accused, however, claimed that they were being threatened by Musafir. Police said that on Saturday night, some of the Muslim men allegedly set Musafir’s house on fire, sparking tension between the two communities.
WATCH INDIAN EXPRESS VIDEOS HERE
“Police have brought the situation under control, but lots of rumours are still being circulated. The police teams are on vigil and forces have been deployed to avoid any untoward incident,” said Bhagat, adding preventive arrests are being made.
Khudadadpur village has a mixed population with Muslims in a majority.