Condemning the attack on Dalits and BJP MP Tarun Vijay who were trying to enter a temple in Uttarakhand’s Chakrata, BSP supremo Mayawati Saturday said the Harish Rawat-led government there should have provided adequate security to the MP and others to prevent this unfortunate incident.
In a statement, Mayawati demanded that the Harish Rawat-led government should take strict action against the “casteist” attackers and provide free medical facilities to those injured.
She said the MP leading Dalits into a temple, where entrance of persons belonging to backward castes is prohibited, was a sensitive matter and the state government should make adequate security arrangements for Dalit leaders so that similar incidents don’t occur in future.
- Allahabad Dalit student death: Mayawati, Akhilesh Yadav slam UP government
- Allahabad: Widespread violence after killing of Dalit student, bus torched; Opposition hits out at BJP govt
- Mayawati attacks BJP over killing of youth in Allahabad
- Jaipur Lit fest: Mahatma Gandhi was casteist and racist, says US-based writer Sujatha Gidla
- Koregaon-Bhima clashes: Mayawati terms Centre, Maha govt casteist
- Harish Rawat visits injured BJP MP, assures stringent action against guilty
Vijay was attacked on Friday by a mob and his car vandalised after he came out of Silgur Devta temple with Dalit leaders in Chakrata, 180 km from Dehradun. Chief Minister Harish Rawat met the MP in the hospital and assured that strict action will be taken in the matter.
Conveying her greetings to the people on the occasion of Buddha Purnima, Mayawati said Buddha’s message of peace, humanity and brotherhood is not just relevant in current times, but is most needed in the country these days.
She stated that BSP formed its governments in UP four times and built several memorials, parks, museums as well as named several colleges, universities and a district after him to make his thoughts immortal.
Mayawati said there is no place for casteism, inequality and varna system in Buddhism, a religion which was embaced by Dalit icon B R Ambedkar. BSP’s movement is also dedicated towards these goals, she added.