A 24-year-old man, accused of theft, was tied to a pillar and beaten up by six policemen at Kotwali police station following which three of them were suspended.
Neeraj, a resident of Bilgram Chungi, had reportedly entered into a tiff with another inmate Thursday, police said.
- 2009 assault case: 3 accused acquitted, complainant attacks 2 with knife in courtroom
- It’s unofficial: ‘zero police’ to cease, orders state’s top cop
- Sangli custodial death: ‘He was made to hang from ceiling upside down, thrashed’
- Sangli: Five policemen held for beating robbery suspect to death, burning body
- Man tied to tree, beaten to death: Police struggle to find witnesses
- Interrogation death sets off protest, farmer dies in Gujarat police firing
The policemen on duty lost their cool and, after tying him up with a pillar, beat him up. The “atrocity” on the victim stopped after the policemen learnt that their action had been filmed by an onlooker.
SP Umesh Kumar Singh said that among the six policemen in the video, three have been suspended and dismissal of three others has been recommended. The man, meanwhile, got bail from the SDM court and was released Friday, the SP added.