An Uber driver allegedly fell asleep while on a trip from Defence Colony to Gurgaon on May 15, forcing the passenger to take over the wheel.
“Had a horrific experience with an Uber driver… He fell asleep at the wheel as he had taken ‘pills’ to stay awake… I had to put him in the passenger seat and drive myself home. Pathetic background checks. Very disturbing,” 23-year-old Ishaan Gill wrote on Facebook.
Uber responded to the post — “Hey Ishaan, please share the trip details via firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know your registered email ID. We will get in touch with your right away.”
- Uber driver, with fake driving licence, held for masturbating while ferrying woman passenger in Delhi
- Cab gets stuck on stairs; driver claims, ‘Uber app told him to take the route’
- UP: Tractor-trolley falls off railway bridge, four dead
- Ola, Uber strike: 40,000 app-based taxis off roads
- Delhi woman says locked inside Uber cab, forced to jump out, driver arrested
- Watch: Passenger drives taxi home while Uber cabbie falls asleep at the wheel
Gill, a financial analyst with a corporate firm in Gurgaon, said the driver looked half-asleep when he arrived to pick him up. However, he decided to get into the cab after the driver assured him he was fine.
“At Aurobindo Marg, I looked up from my phone and saw that the driver was about to hit a divider. He was asleep at the wheel,” said Gill. He then asked the driver to park the car and gave him some water. “I showed him my driving licence and offered to drive. He agreed and I drove home,” said Gill.
On reaching his house, Gill said he tried to wake up the driver to pay him but he did not stir. He said he received a bill of Rs 427 for the ride and left Rs 500 in the driver’s pocket.
“I asked my society’s security guard to take care of him,” said Gill, adding that the driver was not drunk but seemed to have consumed some sort of intoxicant.
In the morning, he said he informed Uber about the incident. Gill claimed he received a call from Uber, offering him a reimbursement of Rs 500.