A trooper of the Tripura State Rifles (TSR) gunned down his girlfriend and later shot himself with his service rifle, police said here on Tuesday.
Mrinal Das, 32, stormed into the rented house of nursing student Tanushree Karmakar, 25, late on Monday night at Durjoynagar near here and shot the woman dead, police spokesman Uttam Kumar Bhowmik told IANS.
- BSP leader Rajesh Yadav shot dead near Allahabad University; supporters turn violent, set ablaze bus
- Tripura journalist Shantanu Bhowmik taped violence, CPM says he was our own
- In Tripura, journalist Santanu Bhowmick's last despatch plays on loop
- Tripura scribe death: Bandh observed in West Tripura
- Highlights: Four arrested in Tripura scribe murder case, CPI(M) condemns killing
- Tripura: Journalist killed while covering CPM-tribal clash
“Later, Das shot himself dead on the spot,” Bhowmik said.
The official said that Mrinal, a rifleman of the Ninth Battalion of the TSR, was in relationship with Tanushree for the past few years.
“Recently, the girl started avoiding Mrinal after she learnt that he is married,” the spokesperson said.
The Tripura State Rifles is an elite force of Tripura and trained in line with central paramilitary force to engage in counter-insurgency operations.