A trooper of the Tripura State Rifles (TSR) gunned down his girlfriend and later shot himself with his service rifle, police said here on Tuesday.
Mrinal Das, 32, stormed into the rented house of nursing student Tanushree Karmakar, 25, late on Monday night at Durjoynagar near here and shot the woman dead, police spokesman Uttam Kumar Bhowmik told IANS.
- Tripura journalist murder: Govt announces Rs 10 lakh ex-gratia for scribe's family, Bengal promises job for son
- Two more Tripura Rifles men held in journalist murder case
- Tripura Journalist killing: Two more TSR personnel arrested
- SIT seizes Tripura journalist Sudip’s phone from commandant’s residence
- Journalist murder: Newspapers in Tripura leave edit column blank in protest; bandhs affect life in state
- Tripura commandant held, editor says reporter killed for exposing his corruption
“Later, Das shot himself dead on the spot,” Bhowmik said.
The official said that Mrinal, a rifleman of the Ninth Battalion of the TSR, was in relationship with Tanushree for the past few years.
“Recently, the girl started avoiding Mrinal after she learnt that he is married,” the spokesperson said.
The Tripura State Rifles is an elite force of Tripura and trained in line with central paramilitary force to engage in counter-insurgency operations.