Carcasses of 38 baleen whales were washed ashore near the Tiruchendur beach in this district early today while more than 250 whales stranded in shallow waters were pushed back into the deep sea, officials said.
“This is an unusual thing…an unusual mortality incident, we have to find out the reason,” said Marine Scientist Velumani of the Fisheries Department.
Assistant Director of Tuticorin Fisheries Department Amal Xavier said the stranded whales were pushed back to the sea after several hours of hectic effort.
“There could be many reasons…navy sonars could have caused it…or pollution…the reason is not immediately known and we don’t want to speculate,” Assistant Director of Tuticorin fisheries department, Xavier said.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
“We also have to study the the eco-system. The study would require the help of oceanographic experts also,” Velumani said.
They said that the whales could have come to the shore due to low tide, which was uncommon in this area.
A thorough investigation would be conducted and report would be submitted to the government regarding whales being washed ashore the officials said.