At least three suspected women Maoist cadres were reported to have been killed by the anti-Maoist Special Operation Group (SOG) in an encounter in the forests of Kalahandi district on Saturday afternoon.
Kalahandi SP Brijesh Rai said an exchange of fire ensued between SOG jawans and the Maoists around 5 pm near Kutra village, under Ampani police outpost of Kalahandi, when the security personnel were undertaking combing operations in the area.
- Days before Sukma, big gains in Maoist fight in Jharkhand
- Sukma attack: A timeline of Naxal violence in Chhattisgarh in last decade
- 10 Maoists, Greyhound commando killed in encounter in Chhattisgarh forest
- Seven Maoists, five of them women, killed in encounter in Maharashtra, says official
- Woman Maoist killed, two SOG jawans injured
- Odisha: Police kill 3 villagers, SP claims Maoist link
“Our operation team is yet to reach the headquarters. We will reveal identity of the Maoists after their return,” Rai said. The police said a few .303 rifle and a 9-mm pistol have been recovered.
In November, three tribals of Kalahandi, herding goats in a forest, were accidentally shot dead by SOG. The personnel took them to be Maoists.