An acid-laden container truck overturned on the busy Ghodbunder road in Thane, Maharashtra on Wednesday morning and the leaking acid’s fumes spread in the area, prompting authorities to evacuate a school in the vicinity.
The speeding truck carrying several drums of hydrochloric acid toppled near the Gaimukh octroi post at around 8 AM, Thane Municipal Corporation’s Regional Disaster Management Cell chief Santosh Kadam said.
As a result, the acid from the drums started leaking.
Since the acid fumes engulfed the entire area, a school and octroi post close to the mishap spot were closed and children and staff sent home, he said.
The truck driver sustained injuries in the mishap and was rushed to hospital.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
The firemen and disaster management cell personnel rushed to the site, Kadam said, adding work was on to remove the truck from the road.
Meanwhile, another container truck also overturned in the same area. However, its driver and cleaner fled from the spot.