One BSF jawan lost his life, while another was injured in exchange of fire with the terrorists, a top official confirmed to The Indian Express. The incident took place when the militants on Sunday launched a ‘Fidayeen’ (suicide) attack on 46 Rashtriya Rifles army camp in Baramulla district of north Kashmir. The camp is located on the outskirts of Baramulla city, 54 kms from Srinagar.
- Twitter War Between Congress Leader Amarinder Singh & Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal
- Life Of Actor-Dancer Ashwini Ekbote Who Died During A Performance
- Idea Exchange With Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh
- PM Narendra Modi Bats For Equal Rights : Here What He Said On Triple Talaq
- Uncle Shivpal Targets Akhilesh, Claims CM Told Him He Will Form Another Party
- Pakistan Continues To Violate Ceasefire In RS Pura
- Samajwadi Party’s internal fight divides SP
- Cyrus Mistry Removed As Chairman of Tata Sons: Here’s What Happened
- Wreath Laying Ceremony Of Slain Soldier Sushil Kumar Observed
- Virat Kohli Powers India Home With Unbeaten 154
- Pakistan Resorts To Heavy Mortar Shelling, 1 BSF Jawan Dead, 3 Injured
- Bigg Boss 10 Weekend Ka Vaar: Priyanka Jagga Evicted
- Here’s How Much Army Welfare Fund Has After MNS Demanded Rs 5 Cr To Cast Pak Artistes
- Shiv Sena Chief Uddhav Thackeray Take A Jibe At MNS: Here’s What He Said
- Samajwadi Party Crisis Deepens: Here’s How It Will Impact UP Polls
The firing has come to a halt and terrorists were not able to breach the army camp parameters, said the official.
Northern Command of Indian Army said in a tweet that the situation at Baramulla was contained and under control.
Baramulla Incident situation contained and under control @adgpi
— NorthernComd.IA (@NorthernComd_IA) October 2, 2016
According to the officials, the terrorists were believed to have entered the establishment through the adjacent BSF camp but were not able to breach the 46 Rashtriya Rifles camp. Heavy exchange of fire broke out in the region.
WATCH | Baramulla attack: Situation contained and under control, says Army
— ANI (@ANI_news) October 2, 2016
Former Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah also alerted the public about the situation.
In a tweet, Abdullah said, “Colleagues in Baramulla town are phoning with reports of massive gunfire in their vicinity. Prayers for all in the area.”
Colleagues in Baramulla town are phoning with reports of massive gunfire in their vicinity. Prayers for all in the area.
— Omar Abdullah (@abdullah_omar) October 2, 2016
Sources claimed that there was some firing from adjacent houses located near the camp. The residents living close by to the camp switched off all their lights out of fear.
The attack comes following intelligence inputs about possible terrorist attacks on security installations in Jammu and Kashmir after the Indian army carried out surgical strikes on September 29. Barely a fortnight ago, terrorists launched an assault on army’s brigade headquarters at Uri which left 19 soldiers dead. The Indian army carried out retaliatory surgical strikes on terrorist launch pads early Thursday in PoK and there were apprehensions about possible suicide attacks on defence installations ever since.