Police had to open fire and burst teargas shells to quell a rampaging mob that had attacked Illambazar police station in Birbhum district on Tuesday afternoon. One person was injured in police firing and had been admitted to a hospital.
Prohibitory orders had been promulgated to prevent the assembly of people in the area. The attack on the police and the ransacking of police vehicles followed after Muslims protested to a derogatory Facebook post on the Prophet on Monday.
The Hindu youth, who had allegedly used his Facebook account to post the derogatory remark, was identified from Guricha village of Illambazar. But he was said to be absconding.
As the news about the post spread, Muslims in the area began to protest and gather. They burnt an effigy during which some shops by the roadside reportedly caught fire and were partially damaged. A fire brigade had to be called in to douse the flames. Tension began to mount as more and more people got to know about the Facebook post and the police station was raided by a mob.
Window panes were broken, scooters, motorcycles and other vehicles parked outside the police station were damaged. Some police men sustained injuries, it was learnt. By evening, the Rapid Action Force was deployed in the area and the situation was said to be under control, according to police sources.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More