Police had to open fire and burst teargas shells to quell a rampaging mob that had attacked Illambazar police station in Birbhum district on Tuesday afternoon. One person was injured in police firing and had been admitted to a hospital.
Prohibitory orders had been promulgated to prevent the assembly of people in the area. The attack on the police and the ransacking of police vehicles followed after Muslims protested to a derogatory Facebook post on the Prophet on Monday.
The Hindu youth, who had allegedly used his Facebook account to post the derogatory remark, was identified from Guricha village of Illambazar. But he was said to be absconding.
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Audience Reaction: Ranbir, Aishwarya, Anushka Starrer Gets A Thumbs Up
- Bigg Boss 10, October 27 Review: Navin, Lokesh Fights During The Immunity Task
- Shivaay Audience Reaction: Ajay Devgn Impresses Viewers
- Pakistan High Commission Staffer Caught With Defence Documents: What It Means For India & Pakistan
- The Royal Opera House Reopens After Decades Of Neglect: Here’s A Quick Tour
- Tata Sons Rubbishes Cyrus Mistry’s Allegations: Here’s What Happened
- Pakistan High Commissioner denies allegations leveled on his staffer for espionage activities
- Odisha: Villagers Refuse To Cremate Dalit Woman’s Body
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
As the news about the post spread, Muslims in the area began to protest and gather. They burnt an effigy during which some shops by the roadside reportedly caught fire and were partially damaged. A fire brigade had to be called in to douse the flames. Tension began to mount as more and more people got to know about the Facebook post and the police station was raided by a mob.
Window panes were broken, scooters, motorcycles and other vehicles parked outside the police station were damaged. Some police men sustained injuries, it was learnt. By evening, the Rapid Action Force was deployed in the area and the situation was said to be under control, according to police sources.