Telangana government will convene a special session of Legislative Assembly to pass a resolution granting 12 per cent reservation to Muslims and will send it to Central government, Chief Minister K Chandrasekhar Rao said on Sunday.
The Telangana Rashtra Samithi (TRS), headed by Rao, had promised during the elections that Muslims will be provided 12 per cent reservation in proportion to their population.
“I had promised 12 per cent reservation for Muslims. ‘Main baat kahata hoon toh barkarar rahata hoon yeh aap tamaam janate hain’ (You all know that I don’t deviate from what I say).
“A committee has been set up which will shortly submit its report (on reservation) and the moment the report is submitted a special session of Assembly will be called and a resolution will be passed which will be sent directly to Central government…I am fully hopeful that we will succeed in this,” Rao said.
- Bills exceeding quota cap: Andhra, Telangana wait for Centre nod
- DMK's Stalin praises Telangana CM for quota initiative
- Quota should be within the purview of Constitution, says Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi
- Singareni union polls: Telangana CM K Chandrasekhar Rao breathes fire on ex-comrade who stitched together oppn
- Telangana: Muslim quota move will be fought politically, legally, says BJP
- Telangana government to bring bill for 12% quota for Muslims
Watch Video: What’s making news
The CM hosted an ‘Iftar’ party at Nizam College grounds here as part of ‘Dawat-e-Iftars’ being organised for Muslims across the state in the holy month of Ramadan.
The state government had constituted the panel to study the socio-economic and educational status of Muslims in Telangana.
Rao further said that a total of 120 minorities residential schools will be started this month across Telangana at the cost of Rs 3,900 crore.
“Telangana government made budget allocation of Rs 1,200 crore for Minority Welfare Department, the highest by any state government in the country,” he claimed.
Union Minister of State for Labour and Employment Bandaru Dattatreya, Telangana Deputy Chief Minister Mahmood Ali, AIMIM chief and Hyderabad MP Asaduddin Owaisi were also present on the occasion.