Tripura Governor Tathagata Roy : ‘Other Governors also visit RSS shakhas’

“I believe other Governors also visit RSS shakhas. Just that they do not tweet about it, so nobody comes to know. Being a committed swayamsevak, I have done nothing wrong,” Roy told The Sunday Express.

Written by Liz Mathew | New Delhi | Updated: April 10, 2016 11:04 am
Tathagata Roy, tripura governor Tathagata Roy, RSS, Tathagata RSS visit, RSS, RSS visit protest, india news, nation news Tripura Governor Tathagata Roy

Facing criticism for visiting an RSS shakha and tweeting about it earlier this week, Tripura Governor Tathagata Roy said on Saturday that he had done “nothing wrong” and “other Governors also visit RSS shakhas”.

Related Article

Roy, who visited a shakha on April 7, had tweeted: “Today is Varsha Pratipada Utsav of Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh. Attended own shakha first time afr (after) becoming Guv (Governor), delivered Boudhik. Felt good.”

The tweet triggered some reactions questioning the propriety of the move.

“I consider RSS as a social welfare organisation, and I am committed to it,” said Roy.

In the past, Roy’s tweets on controversial issues including Yakub Memon’s funeral, Pakistan ghazal singer Ghulam Ali’s performance in India and the Pathankot attack have often drawn criticism. He admitted today that he had to “backtrack” after he was asked to do so by “some quarters”.

Sources in the BJP said the party’s top leadership had advised Roy to “slow down on his aggressive tweets”.

“I drew criticism from some quarters, I am not saying from where, that it is not a done thing for a Governor. So I stayed away,” said Roy, who calls himself a “proud bhakt and swayamsevak” on his Twitter profile.

“Intelligence shd (should) keep a tab on all, expt (except) relatives & close friends, who assembled bfr (before) Yakub Memon’s corpse. Many are potential terrorists,” Roy had tweeted on Yakub Memon’s funeral.

Defending his tweets, he said: “Personally, I don’t find anything wrong in it. I was not indulging in any politics… But when I was told it’s not a done thing for a Governor, I backtracked.”

In January, Roy told The Indian Express that there is no rule or law that stops a Governor from expressing his views on issues of state security.

1. I
    I am
    Apr 10, 2016 at 9:19 am
    Publicly Hang Castiest and Pliable Governors at Entrance of #SupremeCourtOfIndia.
    (0)(0)
      MyTake
      Apr 10, 2016 at 1:15 am
      RSS can initiate some leadership Training program with courses from weeks to month long. It can be open for anyone and everyone. This will be another form of social service and may be even private enies one day will give recognition to it if they find value to it. This will go a long way both for people and for RSS.
      (0)(0)
        Archpagan
        Apr 10, 2016 at 2:28 pm
        RSS is the guru of BJP. What is your problem in that?
        (0)(0)
          Archpagan
          Apr 10, 2016 at 6:04 am
          It is secularists who divided the country in 1947. Keep your History to yourself.
          (0)(0)
          1. B
            Babu Gupta
            Apr 10, 2016 at 12:22 am
            RSS is very patriotic organisation which is totally dedicated for the well being of India and all its cultures.
            (0)(0)
            1. C
              close observer
              Apr 10, 2016 at 7:12 am
              every extremis and fasicst organisation has theiR Social Serrvice wings to capture power , to create haters , to divide the society , to spread poision ,to fool the nation , to hide ugly ideology
              (0)(0)
              1. V
                vijaykumar
                Apr 10, 2016 at 4:32 am
                New style of governor ship. People should get to it.
                (0)(0)
                  dillip tripathy
                  Apr 10, 2016 at 1:31 am
                  Even IS, LET, Jaish etc all like RSS claim to be patriotic, social and cultural organizations. Their members are very excited and proud of it. So is Tathagat. Nothing surprising.
                  (0)(0)
                    Raghu Panjala
                    Apr 10, 2016 at 8:33 am
                    Forget consution and propreity.
                    (0)(0)