Three fishermen from Tamil Nadu were arrested on Thursday by Sri Lankan navy personnel allegedly while fishing near Neduntheevu, a small island off Jaffna in the north of the neighbouring nation.
President of Rameswaram Fishermen’s Association P Sesuraja said the three arrested fishermen from Kottaipattinam in Pudukottai District were produced before the Oorkaval Thurai court in Sri Lanka, which remanded them in judicial custody till June 30.
The court also extended till June 30, the judicial custody of eight other fishermen, arrested by the Lankan Navy on June 2 and 5 respectively on charges of fishing in their waters, Sesuraja said quoting information received by him.
- Seven Tamil Nadu fishermen arrested by Sri Lankan Navy
- Over 1,500 Tamil Nadu fishermen chased away by Lankan Navy
- Sri Lankan Navy arrests eight fishermen from Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu fishermen chased away, fishing nets snapped by Sri Lankan Navy
- Thirteen Tamil Nadu fishermen arrested by Sri Lankan Navy
- Four Tamil Nadu fishermen arrested by Lankan Navy
Four fishermen from Kottaipattinam were arrested when they were fishing near Neduntheevu while others from Rameswaram were detained near Kangeshanthurai.