DMK chief M Karunanidhi on Sunday cautioned that Chennai or its neighbouring districts cannot manage another disaster like last December’s deluge and said the AIADMK government should take preventive steps without any delay to avert such a situation. “It is a problem that requires safeguarding the people’s lives in Chennai and flood-affected districts… The government should take steps without any further delay. Chennai or neighbouring districts cannot handle another disaster,” he said in a statement in Chennai.
Claiming that some people, quoted in a media report, had expressed dissatisfaction with measures taken in their areas in the city, which were hit in the unprecedented flood last year, he said this “conveys” AIADMK government does not have “any concern”. “After last year’s experience, I expect the government to take steps considering the safety of the people,” he said seeking to know the steps taken by the government.
He also referred to Madras High Court order directing the state government to constitute an advisory committee under the state Disaster Management Act within 15 days. More than 450 lives were lost in rain-related incidents during the northeast monsoon season (October-December) last year in the state.