Indian Army acted in past, but we kept quiet, says Congress

Former Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde said there were 62 terrorist camps in PoK when he took over as Home Minister in July 2012. “It was reduced to 40 when I left office,” he said.

By: Express News Service | New Delhi | Published:October 4, 2016 2:05 am
Sushilkumar Shinde, surgical strikes, pakistan border, pakistan loc, pakistan terror camps, congress, bjp, india news BSF personnel during a night patrol at the India-Pakistan International Border in Akhnoor sector on Sunday night. (Source: PTI)

WHILE BACKING the Centre on the surgical strikes, the Congress slowly switched gears on Monday, saying the operation was not unprecedented and that though the Army had taken action even in 2008, 2009, 2011 and 2013, the then government chose not to take “political ownership” for those actions. Former Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde said the number of terror camps in Pakistan-occupied-Kashmir (PoK) were brought down from 62 to 40 in the last two years of the UPA-II government.

Shinde said there were 62 terrorist camps in PoK when he took over as Home Minister in July 2012. “It was reduced to 40 when I left office,” he said.

While the Congress leadership backed the BJP government, it is now facing pressure from within to come out with the UPA
government’s record. “Just tell us how many punches did you deliver or didn’t,” Congress leader Sandeep Dikshit wrote in a
blog.

Watch what else is making news:

Senior Congress leader Anand Sharma pointed out that India had been attacked before and to “think that the Army had not
reacted in the past or not taken action would be inappropriate…”

“The Army takes the decision and it had taken decisions in the past…in 2008, 2009, 2011 and 2013. But the then government
had left it to the Army and not taken political ownership,” said Sharma. Asked why the UPA government had not publicised the
strikes, he said, “We were a different government and a different political party. The present government thought it had
become necessary to claim political ownership and we have not questioned their decision.”

Talking to The Indian Express, Dikshit said, “Dr Manmohan Singh and others thought this is something that the Army deals with adequately. It is not something that had to be brought out in public domain because this is not the kind of nationalism… that defines a proud growing nation…the thinking that a hypothetical killing of two or three dozen people can soothe the nerves of a nation. I really pity these people.”

He said he would not have asked the UPA leadership to come out had the BJP government not resorted to the cheapest form of false propaganda.

For all the latest India News, download Indian Express App

  1. A
    Abhinav Gour
    Oct 4, 2016 at 4:51 am
    Sushilkumar Shinde is the worst Home Minister I have ever seen. Some guys were searching for him when major Bomb Blast had occurred.
    Reply
    1. N
      Nikhilesh
      Oct 4, 2016 at 7:28 am
      Modi and his govt has stooped to such low level that they are using army to fulfill their personal ambitions (win elections). This govt is not officially sharing things which will be known to even stan, like the locations of strike, militant groups targeted, number of casualties. Why the govt is hiding these facts as they will be known to stan now also. Worst India evacuated its citizens in Punjab and JK, while there is no evacuation done by stan. It is likely this govt will give proof when UP elections will be very near. Its a shame.
      Reply
      1. M
        Mathura
        Oct 4, 2016 at 2:48 am
        Chest beating by blind bhakts a good example of aastha where questioning is a taboo
        Reply
        1. M
          Mathura
          Oct 4, 2016 at 3:51 am
          Now bhaktas are looting killing hands on keeping eyes ears mouth shut. score board: vyapam, mallaya, L modi and the list is increasing each day
          Reply
          1. B
            Babu Gupta
            Oct 3, 2016 at 11:39 pm
            Mr Shinde and other Congress leadership was busy in creating saffron terror, creating scams after scams and hang Narendra Modi for 2002 Gujrat riots. UPA had no time and guts for doing anything positive for the country. Puppy PM M M Singh was restrained from speaking by his Italian boss.
            Reply
            1. G
              gopal
              Oct 4, 2016 at 3:40 am
              ..congress kept their mouth shut even when their president and vice president were on a loot spree through the UPA govts.
              Reply
              1. D
                Dr Harry
                Oct 4, 2016 at 10:49 pm
                😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂lt;br/gt;I have three close relatives working as officers and I understand that the so-called surgical strikes during Congress involved a party of few soldiers sneaking in and killing a few stani soldiers. This happened after major reprisals, such as decapitation. It meant sneaking in no more than less than 5-100 meters, it was uncoordinated and was weak kneed response and many provocations. Equally, Indians army was told not to react to harshly to repeated stani violation of cease fires. The first thing Modi government was to issue instruction to fire at least two round of every round fired by stan. The surgical strike was the first coordinated, substantial and deep preempted strike on stan terror launch pads., and evn more significance is its open acceptance. So Congress and likes of Ajay Shukla, Karan Thapar and usual ISI brigade and Congressis who want to say Congress under MMS did this then good luck if you want to live in this stupor.
                Reply
                1. H
                  Harish
                  Oct 4, 2016 at 2:09 am
                  To take ownership of what one does, one need to have a spine which obviously, Congress lacks.
                  Reply
                  1. Load More Comments