Mumbai Congress President Sanjay Nirupam, who stoked a row by raising doubts on the surgical strikes, on Friday claimed he had received a “threat call” from alleged gangster Ravi Pujari asking him to tender a public apology over his remarks. Speaking to reporters here, Nirupam said Pujari called on his residence landline on October 5 around 11.15 am from a foreign number and he had filed a police complaint at the Versova police station. According to Nirupam, he and his family members were threatened with dire consequences if he failed to tender a public apology over his remarks on the cross-LoC army action.
“I have filed a complaint with Versova police about the threat,” he said, adding that so far neither Mumbai Police Commissioner nor any other authority has sought information from him in this connection.
Nirupam, whose comment on surgical strikes sparked strong reactions from across political spectrum, sought to blame the BJP government on the alleged threat he received.
“Will Opposition leaders be now threatened through goondas (criminals and hooligans). I am a leader who is from the masses. Why am I being threatened,” Nirupam asked.
Unfazed by the attack over the issue, Nirupam said “earlier too such strikes have taken place. But now it has been politicised. Why should evidence not be demanded on the strikes. If Pakistan is campaigning against us, evidence should be placed. We are proud of our Army.”
Targetting the BJP, he said the ruling party is indulging in politics over the blood of soldiers. “We will definitely ask questions. This has never happened before,” he added.
Earlier this week, Nirupam had questioned the veracity of the surgical strikes by the Army but the Congress leadership dissociated itself from his remarks, saying it had full faith in the armed forces.