• Associate Sponsor

Rail Budget might revamp coolie system with new name, trolleys and ads

Sources said Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu may elaborate on this in the Rail Budget, scheduled for later this month.

Written by Avishek G Dastidar | New Delhi | Updated: February 11, 2016 8:46 am
indian railway, railway budget, porters at railway station, kooli at railway station, suresh prabhu, coolie Porters (coolie) takes time off to watch the proceedings of the Railway Budget on a screen at the New Delhi railway station on thursday. (Express Photo by Tashi Tobgyal)

Porters at railway stations who precariously balance luggage on their head will soon be a thing of the past, with the Railways devising a plan to provide them with trolleys — like the ones available at airports — as well as a fancier designation, ‘luggage assistants’.

The bright, red uniform with a brass armband that porters — or coolies as they are popularly known — wear may also give way to clothing that carries advertisements so Railways can earn extra revenue, officials said.

Watch video (App users click here)

Sources said Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu may elaborate on this in the Rail Budget, scheduled for later this month. “The intent is to leave no stone unturned to increase non-fare revenue,” said a senior Railway Board official.

Share This Article
Share
Related Article

The idea, sources said, has already been run past Prime Minister Narendra Modi, who told Railways to “learn from cricket, which has advertisements even on stumps”.

The Railways also wants to do away with the term “coolie”, which many see as a throwback to colonial times.

The ambitious plan to “monetise” porters across India has the potential to open up a revenue stream that has so far remained unexplored. Delhi alone has around 2,176 licensed porters at four major railway stations.

While discussing the finer points of the plan, officials pointed out that not all stations in India will be compatible with hundreds of trolleys moving around on platforms. They also discussed customer complaints of porters regularly “over-charging”.

Accordingly, the plan is being devised in a way that rolls out the process in a phased manner, along with tie-ups with advertisers. The pilot could be rolled out at New Delhi railway station, officials said.

Since most porters are part of unions, taking unions on board will be essential if things are to go smoothly, officials said.

For all the latest India News, download Indian Express App

  1. C
    Chander Pal
    Feb 11, 2016 at 5:46 am
    At least some one had a heart to look beyond income and expenditure. The word coolie like the word negro for African Americans in U S A has colonial bias and should have been discarded long ago. Welcome move.
    (0)(0)
    Reply
    1. S
      sickstyfour
      Feb 11, 2016 at 5:48 am
      I am eagerly expecting 66% quota for brahmins as coolies. And the remaining 34% as scavengers in trains.
      (0)(0)
      Reply
      1. M
        MyTake
        Feb 25, 2016 at 10:35 am
        Good idea. Keep the word reserved for colonial coolies!
        (0)(0)
        Reply
        1. C
          Chand
          Feb 11, 2016 at 11:14 am
          Many of the porters especially in the north extort pengers by demanding more money. They also often don't go by the rules.
          (0)(0)
          Reply
          1. A
            Ashutosh
            Feb 11, 2016 at 1:05 pm
            If self service trolleys can be maintained at airports then why not on railway station ? At zero cost - let there be an ad on the trolley and let that Co sponsor it. Railway will have to only do maintenance.
            (0)(0)
            Reply
            1. Load More Comments